This vegetarian tartiflette features a classic combination of spinach and cheese, and can be served on its own or with a protein for an even heartier meal. It’s a perfect main for Christmas too!
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
- Serves: 4
450g pack spinach, washed and drained
1 large onion, thinly sliced
400g pack potato slices
225-250g leftover Stilton or any other blue cheese, rind removed
2 cloves garlic, crushed
300ml vegetable stock
4 tsp cornflour
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Pack the spinach into a saucepan, cover with a lid and cook gently for 2-3 minutes until wilted. Drain in a colander and spoon half into the base of a shallow baking dish. Arrange half the onion and potato slices on top, then layer with the remaining spinach, onion and potatoes.
- Crumble the cheese into a saucepan and add the garlic and stock. Cook gently, stirring frequently for a few minutes until the cheese has melted into the sauce. Blend the cornflour in a small bowl with 2 tbsp water and add to the pan. Heat until bubbling and thickened. Pour over the potatoes and bake for about 40 minutes until the potatoes are crisp and the sauce is bubbling. Serve with a leafy salad.
Cook’s tip: Cooking for a crowd? This is rich and cheesy so only small portions are required. For really hearty appetites or when cooking for larger numbers, cook some sausages in the oven alongside the bake.
Recipe and image courtesy of Waitrose & Partners
More Christmas recipe inspiration
- Leftover turkey recipe: Turkey, ham & sprout pot pie
- Christmas leftover recipes: Vegetable tart
- Ham recipes: Christmas spiced gammon
- Leftover turkey recipe: Pepper turkey & vegetable stir fry
- Leftover turkey recipe: Turkey & ham pie with leeks
- Christmas dinner leftover recipes
- Recipes: Sticky clementine puddings
- Christmas turkey: Roast turkey with citrus and herb butter
- Vegetarian Christmas Dinner: Spinach & Stilton tartiflette
- Vegetarian Recipes: Flaky mushroom & thyme pie
- Red cabbage recipes: Jewelled braised red cabbage with apple and pomegranate
- Christmas baking: Classic Gingerbread men recipe
- Christmas Food: Canapés, turkey & desserts
- Marco Pierre White’s top Christmas turkey tips