This pie is chock full of delicious mushrooms are meaty, filling and the closest thing to medicine in the food world. You can make this delicious pie ahead of time to serve for family meals or unexpected kitchen suppers. You’ll want to book mark all our vegetarian recipes!
• Preparation time: 40 minutes + chilling
• Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
• Total time: 1 hour 55 minutes + chilling
• Serves: 6
FOR THE PASTRY
225g plain flour
1 x free range egg, beaten, to glaze
FOR THE FILLING
1 large celeriac, about 800g
700ml vegetable stock, boiling
3 tbsp double cream
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
400g mix of fresh mushrooms (e.g. Oyster, shiitake, shiro, etc.)
2 tbsp each chopped fresh thyme and parsley
1. For the pastry, put the butter in the freezer for 30 minutes. Sift the flour into a bowl with a pinch of salt. Grate the butter into the flour and mix together. Add 85-100ml chilled water and mix to a soft dough, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Place a baking tray in the oven. Peel the celeriac and cut into thick matchsticks. Cook in the stock for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain, toss with the cream, mustard and seasoning. Leave to cool.
3. Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan. Cook the onion and garlic until soft. Add the mushrooms. Cook over a high heat for 5 minutes until lightly browned. Stir in the herbs and season. Leave to cool.
4. Roll out 2/3 of the pastry to line a 20cm springform cake tin, to about 7cm deep. Spoon the mushrooms over and spread level. Arrange the celeriac over the top. Roll out the remaining pastry to cover the pie, pinching to seal the edges. Brush the pastry with beaten egg, cut a steam hole in the centre and place on the hot baking sheet in the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden. Serve hot with salad.
Recipe and image courtesy of Waitrose & Partners
More Christmas recipe inspiration
- Leftover turkey recipe: Turkey, ham & sprout pot pie
- Christmas leftover recipes: Vegetable tart
- Ham recipes: Christmas spiced gammon
- Leftover turkey recipe: Pepper turkey & vegetable stir fry
- Leftover turkey recipe: Turkey & ham pie with leeks
- Christmas dinner leftover recipes
- Recipes: Sticky clementine puddings
- Christmas turkey: Roast turkey with citrus and herb butter
- Vegetarian Christmas Dinner: Spinach & Stilton tartiflette
- Vegetarian Recipes: Flaky mushroom & thyme pie
- Red cabbage recipes: Jewelled braised red cabbage with apple and pomegranate
- Christmas baking: Classic Gingerbread men recipe
- Christmas Food: Canapés, turkey & desserts
- Marco Pierre White’s top Christmas turkey tips