When it comes to cooking, eggs are almost magical. They contain vitamins A, D, B12 and folate. You can eat them runny, hard, fried, boiled, poached, coddled or baked. Every medium egg has only about 66 calories. And as we discovered with our #HealthyEggMeals Challenge, they can elegantly take centre stage in family meals.
The challenge was sponsored by British Lion Eggs. Look for the British Lion quality mark to ensure the eggs you eat are produced to the highest quality of food safety.
There has been an impressive display of cookery and presentation skills among the bloggers who took up the Challenge (with a special round of applause for everyone who drew hilarious faces on boiled eggs).
Vegetarian meals with eggs
1. Wild garlic and dandelion salad with eggs — We were tempted by Galina Varese’s very pretty and utterly wholesome salad of hard-boiled eggs with wild garlic and dandelion leaves and a scattering of primula flowers – irresistible.
2. Spinach and herbs egg scramble – Wonderlusting’s original take was to blitz spinach and herbs with eggs and scramble them to create a dark green, protein-and-iron dish served with a selection of vegetables. To us, this looked like the perfect lunch.
3. Easy egg and seasonal vegetables dish – IssyWizzy77 paired eggs with seasonal vegetables and potatoes (below, left) for a hearty meal in which you don’t even miss the meat.
4. Vegetarian haggis platter – AH Scott introduced us to the notion of a vegetarian haggis platter (below, right), putting paid to the idea that vegetarian meals can’t be utterly satisfying.
Family-friend egg recipes
5. Beef, egg and kale hash – Domestic Goddessque’s hash incorporates beef and kale with perfectly cooked eggs for a hearty skillet meal.
6. Leftover chicken and vegetable egg-fried rice – Helen Tobin-Perry used leftover chicken and vegetables to create an egg-fried rice dish, perfect for transforming that collection of bits and pieces lurking in the fridge.
7. Egg breakfast for babies – And we’re just kinda in love with Sophie Lovett’s egg breakfast for her toddler: scrambled eggs, strawberries, and smashed avocado on brown toast, served in a no-food-touching tray.
Scotch eggs recipe, reinvented
8. Paleo, gluten-free scotch egg recipe – Scotch eggs are a hearty egg option – a meal you can carry in one hand. Victoria Welton’s take of this gorgeous picnic stand-by was a paleo-friendly, gluten-free version.
9. Salmon scotch egg – Tom Plant’s interpretation: the home-made salmon Scotch egg, chock full of omega-3 fatty acids.
Poached egg recipes
10. Poached eggs with peppers and onions – Nobody can resist the perfectly-poached eggs oozing deliciously over some roasted slivers of peppers and onions, any time of day. Vincent Gandy, we want to know your secret to spot-on liquid-centre perfection.
Tex-Mex egg recipe
We were inspired by some classic ingredients which bring out the very best in eggs.
11. Quesadilla recipe with egg, avocado and goat’s cheese – Amie Trewin managed to work in goat’s cheese and avocado into her amazing quesadilla. Certifiable #foodporn.
Scrambled egg tarts
12. Easy breakfast tarts with eggs, mushrooms and peppers – The winning inventive dish, selected by an outside judge, was by nuttyasafruitcake: tarts filled with scrambled eggs with mushrooms and peppers and some beautiful roasted cherry tomatoes on the side. The meal was imaginative, using crispy light tortillas instead of pastry for the tart cases. It was appetising in its well-matched flavours and good for you to boot.
Be sure to follow @BritMums on Instagram.
More family-friendly egg recipes