This fun, colourful funfetti cupcake recipe is easy to make and great for a birthday celebration, playdate or anyone who loves lots of sprinkles! (That includes us adults too!)
Funfetti cupcakes are also perfect for kids to raise money for Alzheimer’s Society Cupcake Day — scroll down for more information about how you can help raise money and awareness with your bakes on Cupcake Day.
Try this easy funfetti cupcake recipe now!
For the cupcake
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 125g self-raising flour
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 125g unsalted butter
- 250g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp milk
- food colouring (optional)
- lots of sprinkles of your choice!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C fan, Gas mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- With a wooden spoon, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and flour, vanilla essence and milk and mix together until you have a smooth cake batter that just drops off the spoon.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cases and bake for 12-15 minutes, until risen and golden.
- When baked remove the cupcakes from the tin and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- To make the frosting, beat together the butter, icing sugar and milk, until smooth and creamy.
- If you would like two-tone icing, spoon half of the icing into another bowl and stir in food colouring of your choice. Place both colours of icing into different small piping bags, then place both of these into a large piping bag with a piping nozzle.
- Pipe the icing over the cakes and sprinkle away!
- Note: The cake mixture can be made by mixing everything in a food processor, just be sure the butter is softened and don’t over-process.
About Cupcake Day 2021
Cupcake Day, 17 June 2021, is an opportunity to combine these yummy treats with the bigger cause of fighting dementia and supporting those who experience it. Dementia is set to be the 21st century’s biggest killer and affect 1 million by 2025. Each cupcake sold this Cupcake Day will help Alzheimer’s Society reach more people through their vital support services, like the Dementia Connect support line. Their services have been used nearly 3 million times since March and have been a lifeline to thousands, but there are so many more who urgently need their help.
People affected by dementia have been left severely impacted by coronavirus and never needed our help more. As well as people with the condition being the worst hit in terms of deaths, we’re hearing daily from people who are seeing their symptoms increase, mental health decline and family carers in complete despair.
Whether you choose to celebrate on 17th June or mark the occasion another time in the month, it’s easy to get involved. Dust off your baking bowls, whip out your whisks and unite against dementia by signing up for Cupcake Day: cupcakeday.org.uk. You can raise money with your cupcakes for this very worthy cause.
*Funfetti cupcake recipe and photo by Joy Skipper.