Our Bramley Apple and Pear Crumble recipe combines these two classic British fruits into a tasty dessert. We think it’s particularly great to cook with Bramley apples — they’re a tart, crisp, very British baking apple that stands up well to the cooking process.
This crumble recipe has a touch of vanilla and cinnamon with a squeeze of and (which keeps the fruit from browning before cooking).
Check out our full list of 39 favourite Bramley Apple recipes — great for breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks.
A great apple crumble and pear recipe to make with kids
The great thing about this dish is simple it is. You cut the apples and pears into bite-sized pieces and the kids can help make the sandy crumble topping by rubbing the butter, flour and sugar together. You can also use a food processor to whizz the topping ingredients quickly.
After baking, we let it cool for a bit then put ice cream or crème fraiche or pour over a bit of cream, for a perfect combination of warm and cool.
Scroll down to see the full recipe including calorie numbers and pin for later so you can make it whenever you like!
Bramley Apple and Pear Crumble
- Food processor (if desired)
- Ovenproof dish
For the filling
- 2 Bramley apples, large, peeled, cored and cut into bite-size pieces (about 500g)
- 3 pears, large, peeled, cored and cut into bite-size pieces (about 500g)
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp water
For the topping
- 120 g oats (1 cup)
- 120 g flour (1 cup)
- 150 g butter
- 60 g brown sugar (½ cup)
- 60 g granulated sugar (½ cup)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make the topping, whizz the oats in a food processor until sandy (about 10 seconds). Then add in the rest of the topping ingredients whizz until it looks like breadcrumbs, about 20 seconds. If you don’t have a food processor, put the flour/sugar/butter in a bowl and rub it between your fingers to make breadcrumbs. Then add in the oats and cinnamon, mixing in with your fingers. Place aside, or put in fridge until you are ready to use.
- Place the peeled/cored/sliced apples and pears in a 2-litre oven proof dish. Squeeze the lime over the apples/pears (being careful to catch any seeds). Sprinkle with the vanilla and sugar. Mix a bit with your hands. Add a 2 Tablespoons water.
- Use your hands to place the crumble mixture evenly on top.
- Place in oven and bake at 180C until the topping is golden brown and the filling bubbling, about 45 minutes. You can loosely place a piece of aluminium foil on top if the topping starts to get too dark.
- Serve with custard, vanilla ice cream, or crème fraiche. Yum!
PIN FOR LATER
More great apple recipes