Where did June go?? For some of us here in Ireland the school holidays have arrived and we are managing how best to use the time. We are casting about for ideas on where to take the kids to keep them busy and/or entertained, and maybe more importantly, how to make sure they aren’t glued to their phones when we’re at home or even when we’re out?
In our house there are constant issues and questions around mobile phone usage, not just theirs but our own and the example we give them. I’ve discovered we’re not alone as these two parents demonstrate in their posts below:
- DIY Daddy talks about his mobile phone shame after being called out by one of his young daughters in I feel ashamed and Mortified.
- Midwife and Life asks questions about what the appropriate age is for allowing her young son to start having his own phone in Should I let my ten year old have a mobile phone?
Having a bit more free time in the holidays can be the ideal opportunity to try new things. Whether it’s teaching our kids how to care for the environment, taking up a new hobby or even discussing politics, these three posts have all three angles covered:
- My Boys Club shares her 40 Family Friendly ways to reduce your carbon footprint which was a post inspired by her kids.
- On my blog Liberty on the Lighter Side I have a couple of fun posts on art project that are appropriate for teens and tweens that should keep them occupied on those days you want to take some down time at home.
- This Little vote of Mine by Enda Stories explores the shifting (or shifty?) sands of our ever changing poiltical landscape and how our teen kids engage with it (often with unexpected insight!).
The summer holidays can be long, and feel even longer when the kids seem to argue with each other all the time! Relationships are an ongoing struggle, not just with their siblings but with us too.
- I share some of my struggles at this time of the year exploring the question ‘Why do I find the Summer Holidays so Difficult as a Parent?’
- Emma and 3 has some very helpful hints here in How to get your kids to stop fighting during the summer holidays.
- Boo Roo and Tigger Too have shared their Survival Tips for Raising teenagers
- and in this lovely post on How to be Cool Parent from Baby Budgeting, Becky talks about important ways we can maintain healthy relationships with our kids as they develop and mature.
How is your summer going so far? Share your holiday highs and lows in the comments below!
A big thank you to all the lovely bloggers from sharing their posts.
Until next time
Pin it for later: Teenagers: Surviving the summer holiday on Pinterest