Susanna created this recipe years ago while she lived in San Diego, California. She’s adapted it to fit Mexican ingredients you can purchase in the UK, of which thankfully there are plenty!
The great thing about this recipe is that it can be adapted according to your tastes. For those who like spice, you can add hot pickled jalapeno slices. You can substitute different kinds of cheeses, sour cream for yoghurt, refried beans for the kidney beans. Plus, this is a wonderful meal for families as the kids can create their own plate for a fun interactive meal that’s ready in minutes.
Susanna's So Cal Beef Tostadas
- 1 packet soft flour or corn tortillas
- olive oil
For the filling
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 500 g beef mince
- 1 240g tin Bortolli or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- small bunch coriander, chopped (optional)
- 60 g plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 lime
- 200 g cheddar cheese
- 2 Little Gem lettuces, thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 red chilli -- the small fat kind, not the small skinny hot kind (optional)
- 2 spring onions, diced (optional)
- 15 cherry tomatoes, cut in quarters
Make the base
- Put the tortillas on a baking sheet and sprinkle each with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 180 for about 5 minutes, until dry and crunchy. Put aside.
Make the filling
- Pour oil in a frying pan on high and add the cumin seeds. Let them warm up and pop.
- Add the diced onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until onions are soft. Add in the beef mince, breaking it into small pieces.
- Saute for a couple of minutes. Add in crushed garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Cook a further 5 minutes until most of the meat juices evaporate.
- Add in rinsed / drained beans and heat through another 3 - 4 minutes. Wash and dice coriander. Set everything aside.
Prepare the toppings
- Grate the lime zest and stir into the yogurt. Put in a bowl.Grate the cheese and put in a small bowl.Thinly slice the little gem lettuce and put in a small bowl.Dice spring onions and put in a small bowlPeel avocado, take out the stone, dice, and squeeze the juice of the lime. Place in a small bowl.Dice red chili and place in small bowl.
- Stack tortillas on a plate. Put beef in a serving bowl and sprinkle with the chopped coriander. Put all toppings in pretty bowls and let everyone pick what they want!
- Suggested order: Start with the flat tortilla, add beef mixture, then add a sprinkle of cheese, lettuce, a dollop of yogurt, spring onion and chili. Enjoy!
This recipe is for the #MeatMatters Challenge, sponsored by Simply Beef and Lamb. Learn more about the benefits of cooking and eating beef and lamb along with recipe ideas and inspiration here!