Summer is the perfect time to have mischievous family fun. With longer days and warmer weather, it’s a great time to make mischief as a family with loads of benefits – it promotes creativity, feeds your child’s imagination and helps you bond as a family.
With the help of MAOAM, we’ve come up with a load of exciting ideas for a summer of silliness like no other. Its delicious chews have full-on flavour and are long-lasting – just like summer fun!
MAOAM is on a mission to bring mischievous fun to everyone. Check out the MAOAM Mischief Hub https://maoam.fun/, which has even more ideas, inspiration and unexpected silliness to help you unleash mischief in your family. It’s #MAOAMmischief all summer long! Don’t forget to include MAOAM Stripes, Pinballs and variety packs such as Maomixx – perfect for sharing and bringing a little burst of excitement to your day, chew by chew.
- ‘Is the fridge running?’ – Prepare your refrigerator with a few simple cutouts (see picture) then call your children and ask them to check if the fridge is running. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/445152744390838868/
- Give them cheeky jelly ‘drinks’ – Make jelly in the colour of their favourite juice or use gelatin and fruit juice, set it in glasses or bottles with straws and watch their faces as they try to splurp.
- Serve chilly cereal – Pour up their cereal and milk the night before, including a spoon resting in the bowl, then pop in the freezer overnight before setting it out on the counter in the morning. They’ll get the surprise of their life when they try to pick up the spoon!
- Make mashed potato ice cream – We all scream for ice cream, except maybe when you replace the real ice cream with mashed potatoes! Extra points for serving it on a cone.
- Do a summer version of insect in the ice cube – The bug in an ice cube is a classic. Update it for summer by making your own fruit juice ice lollies with fake creepy crawlies frozen inside. If you don’t want to use plastic, use jelly worms, Swedish fish or other edible goodies.
- Fool them with a silly MAOAM sneeze – Complain of summer hayfever and conceal some MAOAM treats in your hand. Do a big ‘sneeze’ to reveal what came out – Pinballs, Stripes, Joystixx or a combination!
- Does somebody smell a rat? – Tie a bit of fishing line onto a fake mouse or rat. Hide it under the sofa and then stand outside the room and pull across the floor when they least expect it!
- Make bug and spider shadows – We love the trick of putting a large bug inside a lampshade so when the lights turn on it casts a big creepy shadow. Another version of this prank for summer, let the kids sleep in a tent in the garden or the sitting room then sneak up with a big plastic spider on string and a torch, to project the shadow onto the tent. Listen for the squeals.
- Take a wet family picture – Get the kids outside for a picture with your partner. Make a show of getting everyone to stand just so while you try to sort your camera or phone. Just as you take the picture, have your partner pour a bucket of water on them. You’ll have their reactions captured for posterity!
- Get silly with water/water balloons – When the weather gets hot, playing with water balloons makes for mischievous – and cooling – fun. OF COURSE kids need to know they should never throw water balloons at strangers or use them in an unsafe way, but there are loads of fun ways to play with them. A few ideas:
- Assign the children an outside chore, then sneak up and throw a bucket of water on them/toss water balloons at them/spray them with water from the hosepipe. It’s especially fun if you can drop balloons from a first floor window!
- Get the kids to stockpile some water bombs and bombard your partner when they return from work or an errand. (Make sure your victim isn’t wearing their best clothes!)
- Play baseball or cricket but with a water balloon instead of a ball…and pitch one filled with slime instead of water!
- Organise a water balloon fight and start it early by pelting them with some sneaky balloons filled MAOAM Pinballs or individually wrapped MAOAM sweeties in with the water. Yum!
- No matter where or how you play with water balloons, make a game afterward of picking up the balloon remnants so there’s no rubbish or choking hazards for children or animals.
Be sure to check out the MAOAM Mischief Hub, with loads of ideas for silly summer mischief to help you bond with as a family. Combine them with delicious MAOAM chews with full-on long-lasting flavour to have fun all summer long!
Join our Twitter Chat
Tweet on Tuesday 13 July 2021 between 13:00 – 14:00 BST with your family’s inspired silly summer pranks and light-hearted mischief — and get inspiration from other parents!
More summer ideas for families
- Summer fairy crafts to do with kids
- The funny life cycle of summer holidays with children
- Great active summer holidays with kids
- Top 10 UK summer staycation destinations
- Baking: Summer berries recipes
- 30 spooky Halloween pranks & activities with kids