Cheese and broccoli are a classic combination in loads of dishes. This hearty yet easy pancake recipe also brings in the taste, texture and nutritional benefits of cauliflower. You can make it very quick by using prepared frozen pancakes — keep a package in the freezer and you know you’ll never far away from a crowd-pleasing family meal. Perhaps best of all, this recipes uses ingredients that we’re already likely to have in our pantry or refrigerator.
Cheesy pancakes with cauliflower and broccoli
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 small cauliflower
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 50 g plain flour
- 450 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 142 ml single cream
- 200 g mature cheddar, grated
- 1 bunch salad onions, washed and finely chopped
- Pinch nutmeg
- 200 g pack frozen 6 pancakes, defrosted
- 2 tbsp sundried tomato paste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Place the broccoli and cauliflower florets in a pan of boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes until just tender. Drain thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, place the butter, flour and milk in a medium pan. Allow the butter to melt then gradually bring to the boil, whisking continuously for about 4-5 minutes to make a thick, smooth sauce. Whisk in the cream, then remove from the heat and add 150g of the cheese, the salad onions and nutmeg. Season to taste.
- Place the broccoli and cauliflower in a bowl with half the cheese sauce. Spread each pancake with 1 teaspoon of tomato paste, then divide the filling equally between the pancakes and roll up.
- Arrange the pancakes in a large shallow ovenproof dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbling.