Looking for classic canapés ideas? These delicious caramelised pepper tarts get their zingy heartiness from the chorizo.
Cook’s tip: For a meat-free version, substitute the chorizo for semi-dried tomatoes. You can also make smaller tartlets for party nibbles – only cook for 10-15 minutes.
Caramelised pepper tarts with chorizo
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2 sweet red peppers deseeded and thinly sliced
- 500 g frozen Jus-Rol Puff Pastry thawed
- Plain flour for rolling
- 100 g Tomato Chutney
- 75 g Manchego cheese grated
- 12 thin chorizo slices torn in half
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 90 g Rocket
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and gently cook the onion and peppers for 10-15 minutes until very soft and golden.
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC, gas mark 7. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 36cm x 30cm rectangle and cut into six 18cm x 10cm rectangles.
- Transfer to 2 large baking sheets. Stir the chutney into the caramelised pepper mixture and spread over the pastry.
- Top with the cheese, chorizo and pine nuts and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Toss the rocket with the balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil and scatter over the tarts to serve.