Attending a blogging conference can be exciting but nerve-wracking but knowing what to expect can help. We asked one of our Round-up Editors Hannah Fleming to share her story of being a newbie at last years’ event and her tips on how she’ll approach this year. Over to Hannah…
Last June I went to my first ever blogging conference, to say I jumped in at the deep end with #BML16 is a bit of an understatement. I had no idea what to expect, despite reading many many post about previous years and soaking up as much information from my peers as I could find.
I genuinely had a fantastic time at BritMums Live, I learnt a lot at the Youtube session, really enjoyed networking with the brands and meeting so many of my blogging idols. But, I did come home feeling a little bit disappointed. Despite the fact that I knew at least 50 bloggers by name I was really reserved and nervous. Suddenly being face to face with real live people when I was so used to little square photos was really overwhelming. Not to mention the fact that I had never been to any kind of professional conference before.
I missed a lot of opportunities to pass on my business cards, chat to people and get photos with fellow bloggers. I felt like I really missed out by being too nervous and worried that I wouldn’t have a warm welcome. The most frustrating thing about this is that SO many bloggers went on to say the same thing on social media over the days following the conference. I’ve lost count of how many people said they regretted not being bolder, saying hello and taking a leap on the day.
This year #BML17 is at a new venue with a tweaked format and I couldn’t be more excited to attend. I am so looking forward to meeting old friends, learning so much my head might burst and saying hello to some new faces too. So whether this is your first time or, like me, you want to make sure you don’t fall into the same pattern as last year read on for my tips on how to get the most from #BML17.
How to get the most from #BML17:
- Arrange to meet someone in advance, whether you grab a coffee near the venue or travel to London together it’s a huge comfort to have someone to walk through those doors with.
- Write an introduction post either on your blog or in the BritMums Facebook group. Let everyone know you’re coming along, you can even tell them what you’ll be wearing so it’s easy to recognise you!
- Have a good look over the sessions in advance and try to get a feel for what you’d like to go to. Don’t just follow the crowd, make sure you’re choosing the sessions that will give you the most benefit. There’s something for everyone – no matter what stage you’re at.
- In the brand sessions don’t hang back, afraid to say hello. They’ve come to the biggest parent blogger conference for a reason – they want to meet you. Strike up a conversation and leave your business card, if you can get theirs ever better – you can follow up with an email the next week.
- Take a selfie. We’re all bloggers and I know we’ll have one eye on our phones all day. If you’re feeling a bit lost tweet out an SOS using #BML17 and I guarantee someone will come to your aid.
- If you see someone you recognise, approach them. Don’t be scared or shy, walk right over and say hello. Bonus points if you know their real name but don’t worry – we all answer to our blog names too!
It’s not too late to get your ticket for the ‘buzziest’ blogging and social media conference in the UK.
Don’t miss out on the networking opportunities and hearing all our great speakers by attending #BML17.
Got your ticket? Register now so you don’t miss out!