Who doesn’t love a villa holiday?
Villas are perfect for getting away from it all and for families who want to have a holiday that is not dictated by a hotel timetable. And of course there is also the all-important private swimming pool.
Here are 20 great villas that are still available for summer 2018 with prices to match any pocket.
- La Casa de Manolín has enviable views from its position in the Líebana hills of Cantabria and is an ideal secluded retreat to get away from it all. You’re right up at altitude here and the forest stretches away to the horizon. There is a bakery and supermarket a few kilometres away but a bread van comes to the town. It is an hour and a half from the ferries of Santander and there are a couple of local airports with UK flights. £860 pw, sleeps four
- The cherry trees in the garden of this villa in the south-west of France give its name. Les Cerisiers, near the village of Duravel in south west France, has been recently renovated and is close to the Lot river – great for canoeing and boat trips. The villa, a great budget option, has its own enclosed pool, making it safe for the little ones. There are views from the garden over the surrounding countryside and the villa also has its own table tennis table. £1,856pw, sleeps eight
- Casa de La Colina is a house built in the traditional style of the region of Galicia, on Spain’s north-western tip. The casa has views of woodlands and the city and bay of A Coruña. The region has plenty of unspoilt beaches, including the stunning loop of sand at Playa de Santa Cristina in Oleiros. This villa is a good spot if you like golf too; the Real Club de Golf is just a short walk away. Casa de La Colina is 10 minutes’ drive from La Coruña airport and 50 minutes from Santiago de Compostela – well worth a visit during your stay. £2,120 pw, sleeps ten
- A clutch of contemporary villas in the village of Agios Georgios on northwestern Crete have stunning views from its hilltop setting down to Kissamos Bay. Each villa has from one to three bedrooms and has its own infinity pool and alfresco dining area. Kissamos beach is nearby but it’s worth checking out the wide sandy beach of Falasarna. This is a great place in shoulder season when Crete has fewer crowds. £2,912 pw (Villa Abyss, sleeps three)
- If you love your food and wine, you will love La Maison du Voyage in France’s Vendée region. The house sits in a Cognac vineyard and there are apple, pear, plum, cherry, walnut and hazelnut trees in the gardens, which also has a heated pool. Nearby is Le Plan d’eau St Yrieix where there is a man-made beach, sailing boats, paddle boats and canoes; there are numerous walking and cycling routes on the doorstep too. La Maison du Voyage is easily accessible from the UK and is an hour and a half from the airports of Limoges, Poitiers and Bordeaux. £3,195pw, sleeps eight
- Artists the world over now of St Paul de Vence, where many of the impressionists honed their technique. Le Clos St Paul just by the town is set among the vineyards and has its own private pool and immaculate garden. Cagnes sur Mer is just 6km away while day trips to Antibes and Cannes are easy. There is WiFi and, if you can drag the kids away from their devices, a table tennis table. £3,282 pw, sleeps six
- The heel of Italy’s boot, the region of Puglia, is renowned for its wonderful family-friendly beaches, trulli houses and traditional food and drink. The Olive Grove is a secluded villa in among the olives and 23 kilometres away from Brindisi airport. It really is special; it has two alfresco dining areas, its own private tennis/basketball court, a piano, children’s playground and table football. From £3,476 pw, up to 12 sharing
- Finca La Morera is a stunning reinvented farmhouse in the Andalucian mountains, designed by a London restaurateur and a renowned hotelier; it is the perfect place for a villa holiday with friends or family. It features seven bedrooms, a high-ceilinged dining room, two pools, a games room and home cinema and is situated in five acres of orchards and terraced gardens. £5,047 pw, sleeps 14
- Golden beaches make Skiathos one of the most popular of the Greek islands. Villa Pefka on the island is a stunning house with an open-plan lounge and a terrace and pool overlooking the surrounding woodlands and the Aegean. Nearby are two family-run tavernas and the shops, cafes and nightlife of Skiathos town. £5,114 pw, including flights from Gatwick and car hire for four
- The Greek island of Kefalonia were added to many people’s bucket lists when the film Captain Corelli’s Mandolin came out in 2001 but has long been a popular Ionian tourist destination. Ten minutes’ walk from the quiet fishing village of Katelios — think of that fresh seafood – you will find Villa Okeanis, a fine house in pastel colours with its own pool. The sandy beach of Kaminia is a short drive away and, if you want something more lively, the town of Skala is 15 minutes in a car. £5,122 pw, including flights from Gatwick and transfers for four
- Families who count history buffs as well as nature lovers among their number will love the Casa Mira in Nerano, Italy – it’s a great base for exploring the historic areas of Pompeii and Herculaneum as well as the Amalfi Coast. The house sits among the lemon and olive trees and the terrace has breathtaking views of the sea. There are a couple of unspoilt beaches and Positano and Sorrento are not far away. £6,400pw, sleeps eight
- The Ile de Ré is one of my favourite family holiday destinations. It’s easy to reach from the UK (the drive is straightforward or you can fly to nearby La Rochelle) and with great beaches, seafood, ice cream and cycling on tap. The Maison Ile de Ré is in a quiet residential area but is walking distance from the beaches and shops. The house is air conditioned, has a private pool and even a cinema room if it rains. £6,750pw, sleeps eight
- If you want to combine water parks, beaches, the amazing food of Catalonia and a trip to the Camp Nou then Villa Paradiso in Sitges is the place for you. This stunning white, contemporary villa has its own 18 metre swimming pool and extensive gardens that are great for playing in. The town of Sitges is lively in the evenings too if you prefer to eat out. Barcelona airport is 35 minutes in a car. Around £7,500 pw, sleeps ten
- Majorca has always been a popular holiday destination for villa hunters and it’s no surprise thanks to its ease of access, great Mediterranean beaches and lively nightlife. La Chinampa is in Cala Serena and is centred on a large pool and outdoor terrace. The villa includes two separate buildings with bedrooms so that friends can have their own space. £10,303 pw, sleeps ten adults plus one child
- Villa La Font is situated in an exclusive residential area of Pollenca, Majorca with far reaching views the bay and the Tramantuna Mountains. It is an unashamedly modern villa with flow to ceiling windows and sliding doors. This is the sort of villa that will appeal to those who want pampering – it comes with full-time chef, nanny and host. £12,600 pw, sleeps six including flights
- Provence in the south of France is another popular destination for those looking for a family villa for the summer holidays. Le Jardin d’Eden is as idyllic as it sounds – it has been designed by a landscape gardener with well clipped shrubs and hedges, perfect for spending a sunny afternoon. This country house is close to historic Arles and Avignon and has its own 15-metre pool. £17,956 pw, sleeps 14+4
- You won’t have to stay in Europe to enjoy a villa holiday. Round Hill resort in Jamaica regularly wins family holidays awards and has 26 private villas. The resort has free childcare from 9am to 5pm every day, five tennis courts and free non-motorised water sports. Villa 16 features bedrooms with see-through windows that peek into its two private pools, a study with floor to ceiling wooden bookcases and an outdoor patio and an open-air game room with pool table and wet bar. Around £18,250 pw, sleeps up to 12
- The Côte d’Azur buzzes in the summer and Villa Constantins – pictured at the top – is just a short hop from Cannes, Nice and Monte Carlo. The south-facing villa has extensive views over the Med and the island of Corsica and is focused on outdoor living with a petanque court so you can really get in the mood. The villa has its own chef, host and nanny. From £16,200 pw, sleeps up to nine, including flights
- Located on Mallorca’s North West coast, between Esporles and Banyalbufar, is the private Son Bunyola Estate, set in 700 acres of beautiful coastal scenery. There are three villas with private pools, chefs and a concierge service. Sa Punta de S’Aguila, the Eagle’s Point, is built in traditional Mallorcan style and has exposed beam ceilings and terracotta tiled floors and sits above the rugged coastline. The estate lies in an unspoilt part of the island. Around £28,400pw, including lunch and dinner on six days, all drinks and daily breakfast
- You don’t often think of South Africa and villas in the same sentence but the Manor House will make you think again. The house is part of the Mont Rochelle Hotel and Mountain Vineyard in Franschoek. It has four suites plus a bunk room for the children as well as two private pools and a games room. You can choose alfresco dining on the terrace or family dinner parties in the kitchen or instead eat at one of Mont Rochelle’s two restaurants, Miko and Country Kitchen. Around £28,850pw, sleeps eight
Have you been to any of these villas or have any of your own?
Mark Frary is family travel editor of 101 Holidays (www.101holidays.co.uk)