Mexican Minced Beef Tostada
Take a culinary trip to Mexico with this fresh and healthy Tostada recipe. Featured: Whole wheat tortillas, fresh veg and lean minced beef.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus additional for brushing tortillas
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 wholemeal flour tortillas
- 1 lime
- 40 g sour cream or plain yoghurt
- 1 medium avocado, cut into small cubes
- 250 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 24 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Little Gem lettuces, sliced thinly
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 230g jar of mild salsa
- 1 435g tin refried bean (If you can't find refried beans, use 1 tin bortolli, kidney or black beans, mashed)
Put 1 tablespoon olive oil in pan. Heat on medium high and add cumin seeds. Quickly add onions and garlic and sauté until soft (about 5 minutes).
Add lean beef mince and cumin. Sauté until brown (8 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Take off heat and set aside.
Heat oven to 170. Brush olive oil lightly on each side of the tortilla/wrap. Place in hot oven for 5 minutes, then turn over and bake another 3 minutes. They should be crisp (not soft). Take out and stack on a dinner plate and set aside.
Zest 1 lime and mix with the sour cream or plain yogurt. Put in pretty bowl and set aside.
Put the diced avocado in a small bowl. Squeeze lime juice over the avocado for flavour and to prevent browning
Place grated cheese, cherry tomatoes, sliced lettuce, sliced spring onions, salsa in separate bowls
Open refried beans, place in a small bowl. place a paper towel on top. Heat in microwave on high for 2 minutes 30 seconds or until heated through.
Take 1 tortilla/wrap and place on plate
Take 1/6th heated refried beans and spread on tortilla
Spread 1/6th of the cooked mined beef mixture on top of the refried beans
Sprinkle on cheese, lettuce and 12 of the cherry tomatoes
Spoon 1/6th of the diced avocado on the mixture
Place a large dollop of the yogurt/lime mixture in the middle of the tostada
Toss on some diced spring onion