This recipe is healthy, vegetarian version of the popular Coronation Chicken. Make it vegan by using vegan mayo. It’s super easy and is one of our staples for summer picnics.
Try it and let us know what you think!Jump to Recipe
Vegan Coronation Chickpea Sandwich filling
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 tsp oil (enough to lightly cover bottom of pan)
- 1 500g tin of chickpeas
- 1 500g tin of canelli beans (Can also use broad beans or any other soft white bean)
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 Tablespoon mango chutney
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan Mayo
- Saute onions in oil for about 5 minutes or until they are soft.
- Add drained chickpeas and canelli beans and saute for a further 3-4 minutes, until beans are warmed through.
- Add 1 Tablespoon curry powder.
- Put in a bowl and mash.
- Add the mango chutney and mayo and mix.
- Eat as a salad or sandwhich filling
Here’s a TikTok video of how to make Vegan Coronation Chickpeas
What is Coronation Chicken? (in our case it’s chickpeas!)
Coronation chicken is a cold dish that is a combo of chicken (we replace the chicken with chickpeas) herbs and spices and a creamy mayo sauce. It is used a a sandwich filling or as a side salad.
What is the origin of Coronation Chicken?
It is thought that the dish was inspired by the coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953.
If you are vegetarian or vegan, what is a good substitute for chicken?
Chickpeas make an excellent replacement for chicken in this recipe. We use a combo of chickepeas and a softer white bean that mashes easily.