Your family will love this roast beef recipe. The addition of pink peppercorns, peas and basil give it a zingy twist!
- Preparation time: 10 minutes + resting
- Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes + resting
- Serves: 4 – 6
1kg Aberdeen Angus beef topside
1 tbsp pink peppercorns
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 sprigs lemon thyme, leaves only
200ml white wine
550g frozen garden peas
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
Pinch caster sugar
1 echalion shallot, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Place the beef into a roasting tin just larger than the meat. Lightly crush the peppercorns in a pestle and mortar then mix with 1 tbsp mustard, 1 tbsp olive oil, thyme and seasoning. Rub on the meat.2. Roast in the oven for 1 hour for rare, or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the oven and leave covered in foil to rest for at least 10 minutes before preparing the peas.
- Skim off as much fat from the roasting tin as possible. Place the tin containing the cooking juices over a high heat and add the wine. Stir well to release any pieces from the base of the tin and bring to the boil. Add the peas, bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes or until just tender.
- Rip the basil leaves roughly and discard the stalks. Stir the remaining mustard and oil, vinegar, sugar, shallot, and basil into the peas. Season and serve immediately with the beef and any resting juices. Delicious with new potatoes and creamed horseradish.