No Christmas meal or even Sunday roast would be complete without red cabbage, we think. You can make this red cabbage recipe up to 48 hours in advance.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Serves: 8
Cook’s tip: Make this up to 48 hours in advance. Place it into a saucepan, stir in 2-3 tbsp of cold water, cover and cook gently over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until piping hot.
1 small red cabbage
1 large onion, finely sliced
½ cinnamon stick
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 Bramley apple, peeled, cored and grated
4 tbsp pomegranate molasses or red wine vinegar
1 tbsp light brown muscovado sugar
2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
125g pomegranate seeds
- Finely slice the cabbage, discarding the core and any tough pieces. Melt the butter in a pan with a tight-fitting lid over a medium heat. Cook the onion uncovered for 5 minutes until soft, but not browned.
- Stir in the spices, then add the cabbage, apple, pomegranate molasses or vinegar and sugar, plus 100ml cold water. Stir until thoroughly mixed and the sugar has dissolved. Season generously.
- Bring to the boil, then cover tightly and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the jelly, allow to melt, then scatter with pomegranate seeds to serve.