Red cabbage not only tastes good. It also has fantastic eye appeal on any table. Learn how to cook red cabbage with this delicious side dish.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Serves: 8
1 large onion, finely sliced
½ tsp ground allspice
¼ tsp ground ginger
1 large red cabbage, cored and finely shredded
1 large Cox’s apple, peeled, cored and chopped
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp light brown muscovado sugar
75ml pressed apple juice, plus extra if needed
2 tbsp cranberry sauce
2 pieces stem ginger, finely chopped, plus 2 tbsp syrup
- Melt the butter in a large pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes over a medium heat until soft but not browned.
- Stir in the spices and cook for 30 seconds. Add the cabbage, apple, vinegar, sugar and apple juice. Season. Stir to mix thoroughly then cover tightly and simmer gently for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally, until very tender. Add a little extra water or apple juice if the cabbage gets too dry and starts to stick.
- Stir in the cranberry sauce, stem ginger and its syrup. Season and serve.
Cook’s tip: Get ahead – this red cabbage tastes even better made up to 48 hours in advance. After cooking, cool, then cover and chill. Reheat thoroughly before serving.