Distractions are a part of modern life, especially with teens and 20somethings, who are never without their phone, chatting with friends, on social media, listening to music or playing games. But it’s precisely this group who statistically are most in danger at level crossings.
Our #Levelcrossingsafety Twitter chat is all about raising awareness of the dangers of distractions around level crossings for 14- to 24-year-olds and what we can do as parents to stop distractions from ending in injury or worse.
The chat is in partnership with Network Rail, the owner and infrastructure manager of most of the rail network in England, Scotland and Wales. There are around 6,000 level crossings in Britain. Network Rail is promoting safety at level crossings for all.
Did you know:
- There have been more than 2,000 incidents involving 16- to 24-year-olds at level crossings over the past 6 years
- Accidents are more prevalent among male users and are more common at station crossings
- In an online poll of 2,000 adults, nearly a third (30%) of respondents said their mobile phone has distracted them from traffic, while 1 in 7 admitted crossing the road without looking
- More than two-thirds (69%) of those aged 16-24 said they use their mobile phone while walking, compared with half that, 31%, of those 55 years and over
Check out the Network Rail site to learn more!
Come, join the conversation and tweet us on Thursday 20 July from 13:00 – 14:00 BST and you could win 1 of 5 £50 John Lewis vouchers just for taking part!
HOW TO TAKE PART AND JOIN THE FUN
Tweet on Thursday 20 July between 13:00 – 14:00 BST about level crossing safety for teens and young adults, your concerns, stories and comments, using the hashtag #levelcrossingsafety. You must be following @BritMums and @NetworkRail to participate.
5 lucky winners, chosen at random, will win a £50 shopping voucher.
- Thursday 20 July 2017 13:00 – 14:00 BST
- Prize: 5 x £50 John Lewis vouchers
- Follow @BritMums and @NetworkRail
- Tweet your #levelcrossingsafety concerns, stories and comments
Tweet now to enter!
Please read the Terms & Conditions.
The winners are:
Sam Goodwin @Luckysammyg
AKA @goriami @goriami
Morgan Prince @MorganPrinceCom