It’s a cliché at awards ceremonies that at some point someone gets up and says there were so many fantastic entries and stresses how hard it was to choose the winners. That’s not going to happen with our awards.
First of all, we’re having a virtual ceremony to which everyone is invited, so no one is standing up at all, unless it’s to go make themselves a cup of tea while they’re tweeting.
Secondly, we ducked the whole issue of choosing and asked you to vote on your favourites.
Thirdly…well, thirdly, there were lots of fantastic entries (more than 400 of them overall) and they demonstrated such a wide range of enthusiasms, interests, voices and topics that in truth it was still difficult as voters to choose the ones that top the lists.
Congratulations to everyone who was nominated, short-listed or won. And thanks to all those folks out there who cast votes (more than 4,000 total!). We’ve included some of their coments and thoughts about the blogs below. While we’re at it, we say hats off to this amazing blogging community that continues to support one another, develop and grow with each passing day.
It’s been a brilliant year!
Fresh Voices 2010 – This category singles out blogs that have launched in the past year who have an engaging voice and add to the blogging mix. These 5 winners won you over with their wit, vitality and lively content. “New stuff all the time, a lot of time and effort put in,” remarked one voter of RedTedArt, and it could easily apply to all the winners.
- Blog up North “He’s poignant and funny, sometimes I forget he’s a dad!”
- Marketing to Milk “Fresh, funny, well written posts that have made me laugh, cry, stew and sometimes just think. Always good, always worth a read.”
- Red Ted Art “Maggy’s crafting with children blog has taken off at an incredible rate, it’s inspiring and creative.”
- Mummy’s Busy World “I love the perspective of coming from her son … fun!”
- The Alexander Residence “well written and visual blog, varied, and committed to fellow new bloggers.”
Funniest Post – They made you laugh. They made you cry (with laughter). They made you smile wryly with recognition.
- More Than Just A Mother: How does one dispose of a vibrator?
- Mid 30s Life: My Bathroom Is Trying To Kill Me
- Hot Cross Mum: Dads Are From Mars
Most Inspirational Blog – They provided uplifting stories and insight and told their personal stories in a way that buoyed our spirits.
- Pinchy Pants – “For writing very bravely about her diagnosis with breast cancer”
Speaking Up – Breaking the Silence – “It’s an absolutely lifeline for people [with mental health issues]”
- Sleep is for the Weak – “She’s pure substance and integrity”
Make a Difference Blogger – These bloggers – with written, video and audio content – highlighted worthy causes and along the way generated support and spurred the community into action.
- Military Mum – “The voice of those married to guys in the military. She highlights the plight of those serving in Afghanistan and the families they must leave behind”
- English Mum – “For mobilising many MANY bloggers to write about and support the Bloggers for Haiti appeal. People from all over the globe jumped on board. From little acorns. . .”
- Mummy Tips – “What she did to raise awareness about Bangladesh and Save the Children was awe-inspiring”
- Rosie Scribble – “For her work in Cameroon and with Pampers and Unicef. She never tries too hard, she just writes as who she is”
Outstanding in Field These bloggers have distinguished themselves by developing a strong voice and a specific niche. Whatever it is, they rock and represent some of the best British blogging around!
- More Than Just A Mother – “Bitterly sweet and hilarious at the same time, she writes about the “extreme” parenting of raising three children while working full time”
- Sticky Fingers– “I love everything about Tara’s blog. It’s one of the few blogs on my ‘must read daily’ list”
- Mocha Beanie Mummy – “I find her extremely inspiring because she talks about her struggles so openly and candidly”
Honorable mention: We can’t cover everything cool bloggers are doing but we couldn’t resist highlighting the fabulous Twitterocity of one blogger.
- Twitter Queen: @nickie72 – Follow her now, if you know what’s good for you.