Summer 2017 is approaching, and I for one, can’t wait! I’m such a summer lover. The mere hint of a bit of sunshine is enough to put a smile on my face, and gives me a fab excuse to wear my lovely sunnies! I have a bit of a collection of sunglasses now. I think it is a hold over from when I wore prescription glasses before I had laser eye surgery about 12 years ago. I never used to be able to buy eyewear ‘off the shelf’, and couldn’t get the lovely designer frames that my friends had. Once I had recovered from my eye surgery, the first thing I did was to treat myself to some new shades, so I have quite a wardrobe of eyewear now!
The one thing I did learn with my trial and error of sunglasses purchasing is how important it is to find a style of frame that suits your face shape. It is amazing how one style can really thin out your face whilst another can make you look older – it’s all about getting the right balance. So I have compiled a list of tips below to help you choose wisely.
This summer we should get some beautiful sunshine and whether you are staying ‘home’ or ‘away’, you will need a good pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes, so have a look at the fashion styles by Smart Buy Glasses, an internet only retailer with top name designers and the best prices!
My glasses by Michael Kors have a very classic shape and the tortoiseshell appearance never goes out of fashion! This pair retails at £176.36 – down from £261.27 and they come with a ‘Best Price Guarantee’ so you have confidence that you are getting great value.
The Salice 705 Junior kids sunglasses in white were a bit hit with my son, he thought that the sporty style and mirrored lense made him look cool – I have to agree! These frames retail at £22.95 and come with both a ‘cleaning cloth’ pouch and also a zipped hardback case for protection.
The Smart Buy Glasses website contains advice and information on subjects like eye health to a ‘tinted lens’ guide, but I wanted to share some advice on choosing the right frames for your face shape, so you know that your glasses not only do the job but look good too.
Here are some pointers on choosing the right sunglasses for your face shape:
- Determine what face shape you have as knowing this will help you not only choose the right sunglasses but also haircut and beard style for men! There are 6 main shapes: Round; square; oblong; diamond; triangular; oval.
- If you have a round face (fairly short face with a wider forehead) then angular style farames will draw attention to the top half of your face. Avoid round or oval frames.
- If you have a square face, (your face width and length are proportionate and you have a strong jaw) then select rounded or oval frames to soften your jawline. Avoid angular frames.
- If you have an oblong face, offset your length with round styles and choose a frame with a strong brow line to make your face appear wider. Avoid shallow frames that will add length.
- If you have a diamond shaped face, you will want to highlight the eyes and soften your wide cheekbones, so rimless or semi rimless frames work well and also oval or cat eye shapes. Stick to retro styles and avoid anything round.
- If you have a triangular face, then classic aviators are the right style for you, the tapered shape at the bottom will help to broaden your jaw. Avoid light colours as a strong colour and bold frame will draw the attention to your upper face and balance your jaw.
- If you have an oval face, you are lucky as this is the easiest face shape to dress! Your facial symmetry works with most frames so be adventurous and try something new!
Don’t forget, sunglasses aren’t just a fashion accessory, they also protect your eyes against the sun’s UV rays, and make your vision more comfortable from not having to squint, so choose a good pair from a dedicated sunglasses / eyewear retailer rather than a bargain store that sells based on fashion only and not protection.
I hope these tips have helped you to find your perfect style and let’s hope that we will all need our sunglasses this summer!
Disclosure: I was sent the adult and kids sunglasses from Smart Buy Glasses for this review.