Wouldn’t it be great if there was a club for carers – that too-often invisible army of people who look after others in the community? Our social media editor Kate Davis-Holmes recently joined Virgin Care to work on content for their Carers Club. In this guest post, she tells us about the support Carers Club can offer and how you might get involved.
“Did you know there are 7 million unpaid carers in the UK, saving the NHS around £119 billion each year? Illness, frailty and disability are part of so many of our lives. We could all become carers within the next 24 hours and 6000 people do. Carers Club exists to give you simple advice about your caring journey,” Kate says.
BritMums knows many of our members care for someone whether a parent, child, other family member, friend or colleague. We have members who set up their blog to campaign to raise awareness and we have others who have found their own communities online.
Carers Club is your a hub for all the best jargon-free guidance, support and advice for carers in one easy to access, simple and jargon-free place.
Carers Club wants to thank unpaid carers so they have a special area on the website for discounts on Virgin Experience Days and from other fabulous partners.
It is important for Carers to take a break and look after their own health too and Carers Club are keen to encourage that, whether it’s taking time out online or having fun on an Experience Day or short break or just having the chance to spend half an hour with a cup of tea and a good book in the knowledge that the person you care for is in safe hands.
Carers Club celebrates its first birthday during Carers Week 2016
There are a variety of ways you can to get involved:
- Sign up as a subscriber and to receive the latest news and advice
- You could add to the Carers Club dictionary if you’ve found a word or phrase that you didn’t understand
- You could write a guest blog about your caring story
- You could sit on our carers panel and have your say on how Carers Club can meet real carer needs best
- If you have a business, you could offer a discounted rate for Carers Club members
- You can contact Carers Club anytime – it is exclusively for everyone
Carers Week 2016 runs from 6 – 12 June 2016 and you can learn more at www.carersweek.org